Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sailing bits and parts...

In the push to get the XCR sailing, I kind of slacked off the blogging.  Over the next few days or so, I will try and do a post about the various parts of the sailing rig.  Today, the roller furler:


This is one of my favorite features of the rig.  This is a continuous line type of furler that I designed and built based on pictures of commercial ones that I looked at.  The disc is 6" diameter x 3/4" oak.  The 'notch' cut into the edge is not circular, but is actually 12 straight line notches, similar to the sheave of a Harken Hexaratchet (or similar ratchet block).  This allows the furling line to 'grip' the furling disc better.  The pair of lines runs back to my seat in the rear of the XCR where I can easily and quickly furl or unfurl the sail based on the wind conditions.  The mast rotates in a low friction plastic bushing in the thwart and in the mast step.  So far, I have used the system in a variety of wind conditions, and it has worked perfectly.  Up next... the leeboard and leeboard bracket...

2 comments:

  1. looks great, I thought it was just a rope that wrapped around the mast. Nice workmanship on ths disk.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you do a bit more indepth writeup on this? Or possibly an Instructible? I am very interested in this setup for my Dierking Wa'Apa

    ReplyDelete