Saturday, July 4, 2009

Some cleanup and prep work

Got a couple things done on the boat today. First, I did some cleanup on the kevlar edges. I did a pretty good job of keeping the edges flat and smooth when I was applying the epoxy, but there were a few rough edges here and there. I was a little unsure of if I would be able to do anything to the kevlar, but it wasn't too difficult to cut using a chisel and plane. I also got the two sections of fiberglass that will cover the inside from the gunnel to the joint between panels 1 and 2 (first chine). I turned the XCR on its side and rolled the full width (60") cloth out on the outside of the hull. I lined up one edge with the gunnel and then cut a little above the first chine. Now that both pieces are cut, I plan to add some fairing compound to the kevlar edge, roll the fiberglass out over the wet epoxy, then complete the wet-out. Some pics from today:





2 comments:

  1. Ben,

    Great work on the XCR! You are doing a very clean and thoughtful build and with your attention to detail, you'll end up with one very strong and good looking boat when completed.

    Chris Ostlind

    ReplyDelete