Monday, March 9, 2009

Mods


Anyone who knows me, knows that I can't build a boat according to the plans.  What fun would that be?!  Anyway, this is my plan.  

My ultimate goal for the XCR is to use it for the Everglades Challenge.  The Challenge is a small boat "race" down the Gulf coast of Florida, from Tampa Bay to Key Largo, with three checkpoints in between.  There are two primary routes between the second (Chokoloskee) and third (Flamingo) checkpoints.  One can go "outside" and stay in the Gulf, or take the Wilderness Waterway (WW), a twisting route through the rivers of the Everglades.  I think it would be a great experience to paddle this route, and that is where my modifications come into play.  Since the WW can get pretty narrow in places, it would be a lot easier to navigate without the rigid plywood amas (outriggers) that are specified in the design.  So... I am going to build the amas as aluminum and fabric skin-on-frame (like a Yost kayak).  That way, I can take the amas apart and stow them in the boat for paddling the WW.  At least thats the plan for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment