Thursday, May 28, 2009

Still making progress

Having had a busy Memorial Day weekend, and lots of other things going on at home, I have not make much progress on the XCR lately.  I have both sheer clamps installed now, I just need to finish cleaning up the glue drips. (I should have been more careful when installing them!!)  I got a pair of small stands built so I can take the strongback off the sawhorses and get the boat to a better working height.  Once that is done, I can start tacking the panels with epoxy, which is something I am kind of looking forward to.

Other than that, I have made some progress on the sailing rig.  I have been planning on rigging only one mast, with round-the-mast furling, similar to the Hobie Adventure Island.  Based on the suggestion of a fellow XCR builder, I got a great deal on a brand new Escape Rumba sail on eBay.  This sail was also designed for roller furling, but does not have much roach and is a little larger than I was intending.  So I am planning on modifying the sail to be more "Hobie AI like."  I am going to cut off the top few feet, and add a couple high angle batten pockets.  Here are some pics:

Escape Rumba sail:



My modified version, alongside a Hobie AI sail:


No comments:

Post a Comment